Am 09.10.2012 11:24, John Clegg wrote:
Forgive me, but I thought one of the aims of LO was improvements to
usability. I open emails mailed to me dozens of times a day. Doing Save-As,
or clicking the edit button takes little time I agree, but why is it so
wrong to desire that as the default to save me time?

As a third option you can tell your mail client to *detach* the
attachment instead of viewing it. It is always your mail client which
creates the read-only file for good reasons. The main reason is that you
lose work when you save your modifications to a temporary file.

Just open some attachment for viewing and get
office-menu:File>Properties...
On the first tab you see the location of the file that has been
extracted from text encoded mail box content. It might be a file in a
temporary folder. It may have a randomized file name. If it were
writable you could edit the file for hours and hours without knowing
where all your work gets written to. After a reboot everything could be
lost because it is normal behaviour that the temporary directory is
cleared on shutdown.

It takes some tiny precautions to specify your own file in your own file
system where you can recall your saved work.
If you are not interested in your own copy of the file because you want
to edit and forward via mail then a simple click on the edit button lets
you edit, send and close without saving.
But then you are aware that you are writing into the memory of your
computer without saving to disk.

Reportedly, there exists an extension for the Thunderbird mail client
which saves all attachments as writable files in a dedicated directory
on your own file system. I don't know any details.