On 10/05/2012 10:10 AM, Marcello Romani wrote:
Il 05/10/2012 11:07, John Clegg ha scritto:
One feature I miss isn't actually a feature in MSO as such, but LO behaves differently. If I open a spreadsheet from an email or the web it places a
copy in the download folder/directory and Calc always opens it read-only
whereas Excel opens it as read-write. I would like at least an option to
get Calc to open it as read-write. To do so I have to save a copy
before I start, and as I do this around 100 times a day it becomes quite an
irritant.

It's just a "modify document" button click away. But I guess it's more a "problem" of the web browser or e-mail client rather than OOo/LibO as such.

The browser / e-mail client puts a read-only file in the user temp folder, then passes its full path to OOo/LibO for reading. OOo/LibO will just notice it's a readonly file and will behave accordingly.

Hopefully someone with more technicall indsight into this can confirm or correct me ?

This open as a read only is a "security feature" from before LO came out. I remembering it doing the same with OpenOffice.org and MSO-2003.

The file, at least with Thunderbird, that come in an email attachment is stored in a TEMP folder. Those files are, by nature, read-only till they get saved outside the TEMP [/tmp for Linux] folder.

I know it is a hassle for people but I really do not want to have any email attachments placed in a "normal" data folder without me saving it there. That way I control what gets saved from the email and then all the other stuff is removed with the deletion cycle of the email client's TEMP folder content.

We must think safety first and deal with the hassles like this, or could suffer a email that places their attachment file anywhere it wants to be and may be overwrite a working file with the same name or worse a system file.