On 09/25/2012 11:51 AM, Wolfgang Keller wrote:
My guess the group that complains the most about switching because of
macros would be the second group
Objection.

The point is that those people who actually use "office software" in
companies have absolutely no influence on what they work with. It's the
manangsters and administrictators who (pretend to) "decide" about this.

because they only know a few languages at most (VBA and what they
languages they learned as an undergraduate)
I don't know any scientist or engineer who has ever learned Visual
Basic at university. And I know only *very* few who have *ever* learned
it at all.

and do not want to learn another since their primary function is not
programming.
A lot of scientists and engineers, if they use any scripting/programming
languages for "software automation" etc. tend to prefer languages that
provide an interactive commandline interpreter, besides other criteria
that VBA doesn't fulfil. A lot of those I know have learned Python as
their genuine "bread and butter" scripting & programming language. Some
even learn it as a "first language" at university these days.

Sincerely,

Wolfgang

Wolfgang

What language one first learns is often determined by what is used in
the "Introduction to Programming" courses and of course when you took
the course. I know a few colleges used VB for their introductory course
in the States. I know of Canadian university that uses Python.  What
type of programming you do determines the language you tend use and find
in your work place.

Whether one learned VB depends on ones situation and needs. I have done
some VBA programming because where I worked need some automation of
spreadsheet calculations for Excel spreadsheets. We did light process
design and project management in the office I was at.

My intro to programming was originally in Fortran IV (aka Fortrash) and
later Pascal.

--
Jay Lozier
jslozier@gmail.com