On 08/29/2012 08:21 PM, Dan wrote:
Jeff Hahn wrote:
When I try to upgrade from 3.6.0 to 3.6.1 the Norton AntiVirus program
keeps deleting the upgrade as an unsafe virus. This is the first release
that I have had this type of problem with. Jeff

To make sure I understand: Norton deletes the LO 3.6.1 download file? Otherwise, you should not have Norton running when you install the upgrade; you should not be physically connected to the Internet either. Disconnect from Internet, turn off anti-virus program, install LO update, turn on anti-virus program. ONLY WHEN AV IS RUNNING should you reconnect to the Internet.

--Dan

This is not the first time I have heard of Norton stating valid install files were viruses or other nasties.

I never had any good luck with Norton's AV, so I use the free version of Comodo product[s] for my Windows machines. I have hooked even PC repair and selling pro's to using it.

As for not having AV running when not online, well that is not what I would tell people. An anti-virus is needed if you are offline and suddenly there is a trojan or other nasty kicking in and doing a number. They can be picked up and not cleaned in a few ways other than being online. I have my Ubuntu system picking up new things from files that I have had on my system for months and suddenly it detects something the AV system does not like. If I did not have the AV system on 24/7, then those issues might not have been picked up. The real thing is that the AV systems update their data systems, mostly, after a new "nasty" has been detected. If your system has that "nasty" on it before that nasty has been added to your AV data system, then you will need to have the other parts of the AV and security system[s] on to detect the traces of it trying to work. SO do not turn your computer security off.

I have had to deal with too many systems from friends and clients where they did not have their security on 24/7 and kept up-to-date. Had one system that the AV was on but not updated in over 2 years and the guy lost a lot.