On Mon, 6 Aug 2012, Andrew Brager wrote:

On 8/6/2012 6:47 PM, Dan wrote:
Doug wrote:
On 08/06/2012 08:58 PM, Mirosław Zalewski wrote:
On 07/08/2012 at 02:40, Andrew Brager<apb3304@bak.rr.com>  wrote:

Without meaning to fan the flames, can you provide another citation
outside of LO that supports the theory espoused?
That "register true" is for "adjust to baseline" or whatever?

Take any book about typography. I can cite at least three different book titles from memory that will support it. But they are all in Polish, so I doubt they
will be much of use here.
ROTFL!  --doug

http://www-10.lotus.com/ldd/lswiki.nsf/dx/General_Glossary_ls301

I found this link. You will have to search down through this article. Lotus, I believe is an IBM product as in Lotus Symphony. It has the same two paragraphs that LO and AOO have.

--Dan

Again, without meaning to fan any flames or otherwise sound insulting, quite frankly in my opinion the link is a weak one for various reasons, including lack of a verifiable author with impressive sounding credentials. I was looking more for something along the lines of a historical citation. Perhaps a book or article about the history of the printing press, newspapers and/or typography. Towards that end I looked at various sources for typography, none of them mention "register true" that I could find. A google search on register true turns up only the LO help page.

It's just odd to me that something that is supposed to have been in use for many years isn't mentioned anywhere authoritative (other than perhaps a few Polish books in Miroslaw's memory). Granted the term is relatively obscure, but "parellelepiped" is in the dictionary and that arguably is even more obscure. Other obscure words include "ninnyhammer" and "flibbertigibbet" which I've only just learned.

here is a page advertising some stuff on offset printing referring to 'register true': <http://www.kba.com/en/sheetfed-offset/service/upgrades/print-quality/plattenstanzen/>

here is a page on a patent relating to register-true coordination of a printing cylinder. <http://www.patentstorm.us/applications/20090141294/description.html>

I haven't yet found a page with a good definition (but have only spent 10 mins so far). ah, the Heidelberg glossary mentions 'register true in the definition of 'Folding marks', viz. Marks made to ensure register-true folding. Back to top <http://www.heidelberg.com/bin/www/en/glossary/glossaryitems/f?mode=printable>

perhaps also Miroslav could cite a book or two; don't see what difference it makes if the books are in Polish. if Missouri is the 'show-me' state, does that require translation into Missourian?

oh look, German: Im Druckwesen versteht man unter dem Begriff Register, dass die Zeilen der Vorderseite mit denen der Rückseite bzw. die Zeilen nebeneinander liegender Spalten auf einer gemeinsamen Schriftgrundlinie liegen. Hält ein Text nicht Register, empfindet man dies insbesondere im Spaltensatz als unangenehm. Textverarbeitungsprogramme und DTP-Programme beherrschen die Registerhaltigkeit oftmals nur bedingt.

roughly and very abbreviated: 'register means that the lines on the front size lie on a common line with the lines on the rear side'. <http://www.typo-info.de/registerhaltigkeit.htm>

plenty of references to 'register halten' and 'registerhaltigkeit'.

obscure terms of specialized crafts I guess often don't show up in google or in english.

F.

--
Felmon Davis
Union College - Schenectady, NY

He jests at scars who never felt a wound.
                -- Shakespeare, "Romeo and Juliet, II. 2"