Am 04.06.2012 17:22, Heinrich Stoellinger wrote:
Hello Pertti,
As a long-time (now retired) IBM-Systems Engineer serving large customers
I can only agree with you completely.
I myself keep using the latest LO-versions - having used OO/LO for at least
6 to 7 years.
However, there are a couple of - to my mind VERY important -
insufficiencies

Do you know any LibreOffice specific issues? IMHO, the conceptual insufficiencies are not specific to LibreOffice. The whole thing went wrong with OOo 2.0 when the "Base document" appeared on the scene. Too many devevelopment hours had been wasted for dysfunctional eye candy and a container format with embedded HSQL that destroys all user data sooner or later. If time and energy had been invested in better drivers and document integration, database connectivity would be an amazing feature for admins who want to setup something really productive for the "normal" users.

Now, when I try to create letters for - say 100 people in my MySQL-DB -
I have to do this one by one, since things like lines, pictures, and
sometimes whole frames (e.g. used for footings or addresses) are "forgotten"
otherwise.

Things should work fairly well when you do not put the mail merge fields in a separate frame. I could fill 1200 addresses into a flat serial letter with page headers and footers. Of course, the extra frame should not matter at all.

We use LibreOffice in a small busines environment. I agree that the database component is a core component for administrated busines use. Most of our templates and documents are somehow connected to data sources. We do even use the Base component as a frontend for a stand-alone HSQLDB server which works very reliably and user friendly enough (no, it's not perfectly polished and a little bit clumsy to use but "the girls" love it anyway simply because it helps to get the daily work done).