On Fri, 2012-05-25 at 15:47 -0700, Girvin R. Herr wrote:

Tom Davies wrote:
Hi :)
I have just done a bit of digging around.

Looking back through Andreas' answers
http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=user_nodes&user=254826&i=80

I found this but i'm not sure it's much help for you
http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/database-td3926217i20.html#a3928210

This one seems to expand on the useful line at the end there
http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/Base-3-5-2-2-hangs-td3910280.html#a3911654

This one is a bit of an overview with nothing specific but might be useful to skim through for
ideas
http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/Address-Books-td3829696.html#a3832514

This one looks brilliant to me
http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/Base-and-new-Report-Builder-in-3-5-td3817159.html#a3819387

There is some documentation at
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications#LibreOffice_Base_Guide
and an FAQ (translated from the French team's) at
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Faq

Sadly most of the people that know a lot about the ins-and-outs of Base are unwilling to help
write the Base guide so it's down to 1 person who is desperately busy with a lot of other
projects.

Regards from
Tom :)

Tom,
Your "brilliant" link looks interesting.  I knew Calc and Base have some
similarities internally, but I wasn't aware that my data could be
imported into Calc from my MySQL server.  All of my reports are tabular
in format anyway, so Calc could be an option, if it could get my data.
One limit to using Calc would be Calc's row limit.  I think I read that
LO just raised the maximum rows, but if there are more database records
than available Calc rows, then...
Can Calc be linked to a Base query to get its data?
If so, then all my sorting can be done in the query.  I do not do any
grouping in my reports at this time.

As an update to my problem with Report Builder, my 1500+ record database
takes 94 pages of a Report Builder / Writer document.  I put on my
patience hat and timed how long it takes to format the report, ready for
printing.  As a baseline, it takes about 49 minutes to create the
original document.  I cleared my preferences and re-entered them, using
mostly defaults and timed it again: 49 minutes.  So it is not preference
corruption from previous versions.  I then updated my java to 1.6u30 and
timed it again: 49 minutes.  So, it doesn't look like Java is the
problem.  I then went back to my original use of SQL from when I created
the report with the wizard, rather than using a query for the data and
timed it: 49 minutes!  No matter what I do, it takes about the same
excruciatingly long time to build my report.  What is really frustrating
is that there is no status popup to inform me of what it is doing.  It
just goes out to lunch.  Actually, it seems to initially create 128
pages with header and footer, but no data, at the end of the first
"sleep".  When the page status at the bottom of the writer window drops
to 94 pages, I know it is done.  Every so many pages, it does come back
alive for a second or two and then goes out to lunch again for several
minutes.  Each time it returns, a few more pages are populated with data.
Girvin

     Yes, you can link to a Base query with Calc. With Cal open, use the
F4 key to open the Data Source window. (You will have to register the
database before it will appear in this window.) The left side is the
name of the registered databases. Click the arrow in front of the
database to see that you can get data from from a table or query. When
you select one of these, its data appears in table form on the right
side.

--Dan