Greetings,
I have installed LibreOffice (LO) 3.5.3.2 and I am quite pleased with it. I am a long-time OpenOffice (OOo) user going back to 1.0 and even Star Office before that and after not being able to install the latest Apache OpenOffice (AOO) version, I switched to LibreOffice. I say that to confirm I am a new user to LO, but somewhat experienced with the *Office tree.

I used Oracle Report Builder 1.2.1-rev2 on my OOo 3.3.0 for some time and expected the LO Report Builder to be fine, especially since configuring & importing my MySQL databases, forms, queries, etc. worked great. Report Builder does seem to work - sort of- but it is extremely slow when executing the report. So slow, it is unusable; taking minutes to display a report in Writer. Then it keeps repeatedly going out to lunch for long periods so I cannot do anything with the report in Writer, such as scrolling down to examine the report. I am using the following database server:

   MySQL 5.0.67
   MySQL-connector-java-5.0.7-bin.jar
   Sun Java  1.6.0u11

A few months ago, I had a similar problem with OOo 3.3.0 after I updated my Java RE to 1.6.0u30. I posted my problem on the OOo Users forum and was told OOo 3.3.0 will only work with Java up to u22. That problem did not just affect Report Builder, but the entire Base functionality. This time with LO, the non-Report Builder Base functions work fine, at "normal" speed. I do not see any hesitation with Base form data entry.

Is my current Report Builder problem caused by this Java problem again?
Unlike OOo 3.3, will LO 3.5.3 work with the later Java versions and should I try updating my Java again? I also have a Free Software Foundation Java 1.4.2 installed, but I think I read somewhere not to use it with LO.
Any suggestions where to look would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
Girvin Herr