Am 25.05.2012 09:35, Tom Davies wrote:
Hi :)
I think there is another way to build reports?  I think Andreas uses a different way inside Base.
Other people seem to start with the report builder and then hack it around.  It might be worth
search the archives to find how Andreas does reports!
Regards from
Tom :)

Somebody shouting: "Hi, Andreas! I need last year's figures of Item X but only the batch numbers used by myself"

Me shouting back: "Don't you remember the form 'Item Filter' and its print button?"

The print button on form 'Item Filter' points to spreadsheet template file:///Z:/Shared/ItemDB/Item_Filter.ots That template keeps 2 unsaved import ranges. One import range shows the filter criteria that have been stored by the calling form. The other range pulls the resulting data from a prepared parameter query bound to the filter criteria and the involved data tables. A new spreadsheet from template loads with a message: "This document contains unsaved links to data sources. Do you want to update the links?". I told my people to always hit "Yes"(Enter) in this case. The user can print the resulting report and he may or may not save a copy of the new file. All this works like a charm without a single line of macro code.
[Example #1] Filter/Search with Forms (leveraging SubForms):
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=42845

In some cases where my nifty form does not apply, I need to create a query from scratch or copy/paste/adapt an existing one, drag the query icon into a spreadsheet template (or create a pivot table), apply some cell styles, send the result to some printer or PDF. Sometimes Calc's pivot tables provide the best reporting engine for the task. Drag&Drop works with a blank Writer document as well. Unfortunately, we can not link the resulting text tables to the imported record set.

My database is for internal use only. Nobody cares when the print margins, orientations or number formats are not perfect.

I used the Sun Report Builder exactly once when it was particularly important to impress a bankster. I have a rough idea what it could do for me. I think Calc can do the same more easily except for pictures.