Hi :
i would go with Andreas' suggestion.  An external back-end but finding a small non-Java-dependant
one might be tricky.  MySql and it's fork (successor?) MariaDb are probably too heavy.  Is
Postgresql better for smaller databases?

If you have to have java then the best one seems to be 6u21.  If you can get it all working with a
newer version then great but past the 6u24 they seem to cause increasing problems.  I was really
hoping that 3.5.x would allow people to use java 7.  I didn't realise there was already an 8!!  Has
7 already been found to have serious security issues?

Regards from
Tom :)