Hi :)
LibreOffice can read/write all the same files as OpenOffice.  It's the
same program just a different name and has been developed a lot lately.

It is best to back-up your entire config folder before un-installing or installing different
versions of LibreOffice / OpenOffice.  Just make a copy of it.

This guide might help
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=12426
For example on Vista the path is usually
C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data\OpenOffice.org\3\user\
But it might be better to open up OpenOffice and click on
Tools - Options - General/OpenOffice - Paths
to check to see where your galleries and things really are.

Hopefully when you install LibreOffice it will straight away just use the same templates and
galleries and stuff.  All those things are stored in your config folder.  If LibreOffice does not
spot them then you can copy&paste your
C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data\OpenOffice.org\3\user\
C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data\LibreOffice\3\user\
Then when you re-open LibreOffice it will use those old settings.  Actually i think i would be
tempted to create that new folder-name first and then install LibreOffice.

Unfortunately it is difficult to have both OpenOffice and LibreOffice on the same machine as they
tend to have conflicts if both are open at the same time.  Usually that can be solved by switching
off the QuickLauncher in OpenOffice.  If you do want to have both on your system for a while just
so that you can get used to LibreOffice but still have access to OpenOffice then this guide might
help
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Installing_in_parallel
It is really made to help people have a fwe different releases of LibreOffice installed at the same
time but can be used as inspiration for how to get LibreOffice alongside OpenOffice.

Regards from
Tom :)