On 15/09/2011 16:34, webmaster for Kracked Press Productions wrote:

I tell everyone that I deal with that MS does not support those "x" formats the same between their different version of Office. I know people who save their documents in .docx with Office 2010 and it does not work completely read by Office 2007. SO I tell them unless there is a dire need to save it in those "x" formats, use the ones that go from Office 97 through 2003.

There's one major problem with that. In Windows 7 (and it may have been the case in Vista) the option "hide extensions for known file types" is turned ON by DEFAULT so when the user of Office 2007/2010 creates a document, all they see in the title is the name of the document, not the extension so they don't even KNOW that the default document types are .???x at all. Plenty of posts in the MS Office forums of the type: "I just bought Office 2007/2010 and my recipients (i.e. those using 2003 or prior who have NOT installed the compatibility pack) can't open documents I send them. Why?"
I don't quite know how that is got around...