On 09/08/2011 02:38 AM, Bruce Carlson wrote:
e-letter wrote:
Solution #1:
Send back an xls version of that file and ask them to exchange
spreadsheets in that format.

Better still, send in ods and ask the recipient to use LO. If the
suggestion is declined, buy m$o. When minor incompatibility is
discovered between m$ hardware and software, such bugs should be
published to m$ and not here!

at0mic
You can't be serious. LibreOffice/OpenOffice has such low use in the
corporate world that I would be remiss to ask the other user to download a
~200MB software package just to view the document I send them.>You just
don't play those kinds of games in the business world, not unless you want
to aggravate others for no gain (no, you won't increase LO/OO uptake by only
using non-Office formats, you'll just piss people off if>you ask them to
install another software package for no discernible reason).

Sending an .xls version and asking the person on the other end to keep the
document in that format is a valid point and can be substantiated by the
fact that even different versions of MSO have trouble reading each other's
version of .xlsx formats. Try swapping an .xlsx document with complex
formulae between office 2003 and office 2010. Sometimes it might work.
Trying to coerce or force others into using international standards instead
of MS standards will have a negative effect in the acceptance of these
international standards.

For increasing the awareness and take up of LO in business, the best results
I've had is by pointing out the extra functionality of LO that can't be
provided by MSO, such as the ability to load and modify and re-save .pdf
documents. This has been a big selling point in my organisation with around
twenty new users this year already. (only 380 users to go) The biggest
obstacle I have in promoting LO is younger IT staff who tried Open Office
several years ago during their uni days and have been scared off from trying
later versions by repeated and continuing MS propaganda.

I find the same attitude towards GIMP. Today I had our Helpdesk manager call
GIMP unusable rubbish. I asked him what his preferred Microsoft alternative
was and when did he last try GIMP. No answer, was the stern reply. :-)
I do not like GIMP as much as Paint Shop Pro 5 [old and Win only], but I use GIMP now since I use Ubuntu as my default system. IF I have problems with doing what I need with GIMP, I fire up my Vista laptop and do the editing with Paint Shop Pro [5 and/or 9].
(e-letter's use of the $ sign in M$ is quite amusing and to the point.)

cheers,

Bruce Carlson

deleted