This had nothing to do with OOXML being accepted as an ISO Standard.  It was and is.

It had to do with limitations of the ODF 1.0/1.1 specifications (and the ISO IS 26300:2006 standard
for ODF 1.0) and deciding what to do about the formula specification in ODF 1.1 being totally
implementation-dependent.

Wisely or not, Microsoft chose to have formulas that would preserve Excel functionality and
round-trip via ODF from Excel to Excel, the same that OpenOffice.org Calc chose its own formulas
that roundtrip-via ODF among OpenOffice.org-based implementations.

I was in the room when they ran that by a group of people in a Document Interoperability Initiative
meeting and none of us thought how users could misunderstand what was happening.  (The error
messages, in particular, are less than helpful, but we had no idea about those at the time.)  [In
the meeting, the big topic was preservation of PowerPoint fidelity to ODF and back.]

Now that ODF 1.2 does have an agreed specification for formulas and requires that to be used in
fully-conforming ODF 1.2 Spreadsheet documents, we will see how implementations line up as there
are releases from everyone that support OpenFormula.  I believe that LibreOffice is already using
OpenFormula in current releases.  Microsoft's support for ODF 1.2 is not known at this time,
although there is a meeting in Brussels in April where Microsoft is expected to provide more
information.

I repeat, the International Standard IS 26300:2006 for ODF 1.0 DOES NOT define spreadsheet formulas
and leaves it implementation-dependent. The standard does specify how implementations are
identified, though, and both Excel and OpenOffice.org accomplish that.  (IS 29500, the
International Standard for the Office Open XML (OOXML) has always had definitions of spreadsheet
formulas and .xslx documents use those.)

Eike Rathke, here, was one of the major contributors to the definition of OpenFormula, now in ODF
1.2, that will also be in an international standard once ODF 1.2 is accepted by ISO.

 - Dennis