Hi :)
Yes, file a bug-report to try to help pin-point where the problem is so that
people can work on it.  This guide can help with buig-reporting
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/BugReport
It's a good idea to do a search for similar bugs to see if someone has already
reported it.  maybe you could add a comment to their report to help track-down
exactly what the problem is.

In general i would say avoid the newer MS formats until they work better in
other programs.  The older ones are more widely compatible with other programs.
The new formats (ending with X) do have the advantage that you can rename the
ending to ".zip" and then open as though they were a normal compressed file.
This helps extract pictures and things which is especially useful if the file
has been corrupted.  So, MS have caught up with OpenDocument formats in that
way.

Regards from
Tom :)