Il 08/09/2011 14:35, webmaster for Kracked Press Productions ha scritto:
On 09/08/2011 01:22 AM, At0mic wrote:
e-letter wrote:
Solution #1:
Send back an xls version of that file and ask them to exchange
spreadsheets in that format.

Better still, send in ods and ask the recipient to use LO. If the
suggestion is declined, buy m$o. When minor incompatibility is
discovered between m$ hardware and software, such bugs should be
published to m$ and not here!

You can't be serious. LibreOffice/OpenOffice has such low use in the
corporate world that I would be remiss to ask the other user to
download a
~200MB software package just to view the document I send them. You just
don't play those kinds of games in the business world, not unless you
want
to aggravate others for no gain (no, you won't increase LO/OO uptake
by only
using non-Office formats, you'll just piss people off if you ask them to
install another software package for no discernible reason).
Ask them why they are using .xlsx instead of .xls? There was a movement
in the business world to stop using the .xlsx format, since there was
issues even within different MSO versions. Also, businesses that would
rather not pay for every new version of MSO tend to stick with the ones
they have, which could mean MSO2003 or earlier, so they would not be
able to read .xlsx either.

.xls is a fine format to use withing the MSO business environment. I
have not heard a really good reason to go to the newer one. To be
honest, more non-MS software can read .xls than their .xlsx version.

I do not agree about telling business to use LO if they use MSO. I tend
to use words like "try using LO and see if you like it". As for low use
in the corporate world, LO is gaining market share. In the European and
African market, LO/OOo is really moving and becoming the "default"
office suite. Governments and businesses are seeing the advantage in
switching over to LO/OOo over continuing with MSO. That is fact. Cost is
only one of the reasons.

So see if the business would use .xls, then see if someone in that
business would like to try the software that is gaining market share all
over the world. So not demand, ask them to have someone try it.

I'll throw in my 2 cents about how to introduce OOo/LibO in otherwise "hostile" business enviromnents. If they have a MS Office version that cannot read new "...x" (xlsx, docx, etc.) formats, tell them they have the option to upgrade to the new version (which often means thousands of $$) or download that free office suite which will very probably open the document just fine. That has happened to me and the customer was impressed :-)

--
Marcello Romani