thank you for the direction.presently i am using the installing_in_parallel
guideline(http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Installing_in_parallel).willtry
yours.
regards

On 1 September 2011 08:12, Don Myers <donmyers@myersfarm.com> wrote:

Hi Soumalya Ray and all,

I've been using Ubuntu for about 2 1/2 years, and have been through
versions 8.10, 9.04, 9.10, 10.04, 10.10, and now 11.04. In my early days
with Ubuntu, the only way to get major upgrades to Open Office, Firefox,
etc., between versions, was to download them and install them directly. Yes,
I know everything is supposed to come from the Ubuntu repository, and for
the most part I do that. But not with previously Open Office upgrades, and
now with LibreOffice. I've seen posts here saying that the repository
versions are better. They are fancier, and tailored to the distribution. But
from time to time I've had functionality issues. I've never had any issues
with the downloads from Open Office and now LibreOffice. Therefore I follow
instructions I found several years ago on the Internet to upgrade Open
Office, and that I've modified for LibreOffice. You need to tweak these
instructions for each new release of LibreOffice with respect to the the
version number and also the menu information. These instructions have worked
perfectly for me many times on many computers, all running some version of
Ubuntu. But you will be leaving the Ubuntu versions.

Here are the directions for LibreOffice 3.4.3 32 bit for Ubuntu, and I
would assume other Debian varities:

Download the Debian version from The Document Foundation
(LibO_3.4.3_Linux_x86_install-**deb_en-US.tar.gz)
If it was not downloaded to the desktop, move it from the download location
to the desktop.

Right click on the file and extract this file to the desktop. This will
give you a file called LibO_3.4.3rc2_Linux_x86_**install-deb_en-US/DEBS/

Open a terminal, and enter the following commands:
sudo apt-get remove libreoffice*.*

sudo dpkg -i ~/Desktop/LibO_3.4.3rc2_Linux_**x86_install-deb_en-US/DEBS/*.
**deb

sudo dpkg -i ~/Desktop/LibO_3.4.3rc2_Linux_**x86_install-deb_en-US/DEBS/**
desktop-integration/**libreoffice3.4-Debian-menus_3.**4-302_all.deb

sudo dpkg -i ~/Desktop/LibO_3.4.3rc2_Linux_**x86_install-deb_en-US/DEBS/**
desktop-integration/**libreoffice3.4-Debian-menus_3.**4-302_all.deb

CAUTION: I have never run multiple versions on the same computer. These
instructions will remove any and all versions presently installed and
install 3.4.3 only. In all instances, all of my default settings, such as
Java version, have remained in tact.

If you are using Unity, you will need to drag the new icons for the new
version to the launcher bar.

Don