On 2011-08-26 17:37, Regina Henschel wrote:

You do it the same way in LibreOffice. "This is a header" is done by
applying the paragraph style "Heading 1", "Heading 2", depending on
the desired level. "emphasize" is done be marking the portion of text
and then applying the character style "Emphasis".

Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking/hoping for. Tips about how
to do things the LibreOffice way. I just couldn't find it until I knew
to look for it.

or "<Author> - <Year>" for references.

I do not understand that. But have a look at the fields.

In LaTeX inserting a reference and deciding what it looks like are two
different. You insert references as you go along and only afterwards to
you decide if they should be of the format "Gamma, Helm, Johnson,
Vlissides, 1994" or "GoF" or "[1]" or whatever style you want.

I haven't needed bibliographies yet, though.