On 2011-08-25 18:25, James Wilde wrote:
Hej Ulrik:  Comments inline.

On Aug 25, 2011, at 16:32 , Ulrik Långström wrote:

How do people use LibreOffice effectively?

In order for us to be able to answer that, it might be a good idea if
you tell us how you work with LaTeX and HTML.  For example, do you
write the whole document and then begin formatting it, adding
whatever codes you need to create a header, body text, bold and
italics and so on, or do you add these codes as you go along?

I add context as I go along. I say: "This is a header" or "emphasize this" or "Add a reference here".

Then, sometimes right away but also as the last finishing touches, I tell the program how to format these things. For instance italic for emphasis or "<Author> - <Year>" for references.

Similar to using Styles as far as I can tell.

It's been about 15 years since I used programs like LibreOffice (MS
Word at the time) to write documents. Maybe a single page or two,
but not anything with a structure.

Whenever I needed to write longer documents, with headings,
references quotes, sections et cetera; I used LaTeX and lately
HTML.

You mention 'longer' documents.  Do you mean documents with chapters
or at least sections?  Do they have a table of contents?  An index?
Do they include graphics of some kind?

Longer than a sentence, really... If I want to print a sign that says: "Keep off the lawn!" I might have used LibreOffice (or GIMP or InkScape).

I don't really write long documents, or often. Mostly just to communicate with my co-workers about our projects or documentation. And since they need to be able to change the documents too, I have to use odt.

If you are into _really_ long
documents, like books, you will probably want to look at master
documents.

I'll look at them, they sound very useful.

Hope this helps.

//James

Thanks, everyone.