I hope Miklos Vajna and all the specification implementors (including
all developers) reads this post :-)
MS devs can then tweak just 1 or 2 tiny things quite quickly and leave
it to other people to guess at what's changed.
This is not the issue.
Our devs pour a ton of work into finding out what is really being used
perhaps  by reverse engineering (?) and then developing an answer.
If this is really true, then this is where the problem is and where the
developers have failed the Users regarding the RTF and any other
specification.
Not just Libre Office, but msWord, WordPerftect, and all others
specification driven application developers.

I continue to get replies claiming that RTF is bad bad bad bad bad and
will never be acceptable because all the problems people currently have
with RTF.

If an application claims to support a file format, then the #1 priority
is and should be to correctly implement the file format specification
(whether it be HTML, Java, RTF, docX, or any other truly implementable
standard).
If the RTF developers would do this, then virtually all the complaints
about RTF would (go away/disappear).
And this is true for any/all format specification.

After that, then and only then add various implementations(tweaks, etc.)
if you so choose.

I am so glad that Miklos Vajna has decided to "fix" the Libre Office
implementation of RTF.
Thanks, Tracey

Tom Davies [via Document Foundation Mail Archive] wrote:
Hi :)
Yes, Rtf is an excellent format.  It would be more useful tho if MS
Office
followed their own specs but then we wouldn't be having this
discussion.  At the
rate things are going the only organisation that doesn't follow MS
specs for rtf
and docX will be MS themselves.

Our devs pour a ton of work into finding out what is really being used
perhaps
by reverse engineering (?) and then developing an answer.  MS devs can
then
tweak just 1 or 2 tiny things quite quickly and leave it to other
people to
guess at what's changed.  It's not really a "dirty trick" it's a
legitimate
business strategy.

Proprietary formats are about being secretive, hiding behind intellectual
copyright, hiding corporate secrets to help keep the competitive
advantage.

Open Document Formats are about being honest and open about what the
formats are
so that everyone can incorporate them easily and be certain that
everyone else
can easily follow the standard.

MS has chosen to ignore the new Open Document Formats (version 1.2)
and use the
old formats (versions 1.0 or 1.1).  So they appear to be following ODF
and can
legitimately publicly state that.  But of course they have carefully
made sure
that  newer odfs still get a little messed up in MSO.  Everyone else
apps can
read them perfectly.  Again, it's not a "dirty trick" but does make a
lot of
sense as a legitimate business strategy.

Regards from
Tom :)