One problem with RTF is MS has different versions of the
specification, generally released when a new version of MSO comes out.
If your software
does not read the newer versions, which I believe is the default for
the latest MSO version you may get garbled importing on occasion.
I truly and completely sympathize with your plight because I myself am
NOT a [C/Java] Application Developer.
When I have a problem with an application, I am at the mercy of the
developer(s) to correctly address the issue.

GOOD NEWS for every wana-be RTF User (and there are more than you think)!
Miklos Vajna claims to have the agenda to correct Libre Office's
implementation of RTF:
For (1) simple but important example of an RTF issue that just should
have NEVER been: see FreeDesktop Bugzilla – Bug 38786 \nofpages \chpgn
ignored and rejected: treated as step children.
This example (bug 38786) is the basis the following quote (Sean Burke in
RTF Pocket Guide): "For no really good reason, support for these RTF
character sets is perfect in some word processors, almost perfect in
others..., and shoddy in others..."

When a software application [claims to have RTF functionality] and has
problems read or writing RTF files (or crashes), the fault is with the
reader/writer (hence application developer(s)) and (NOT / NEVER) the RTF
Specification (see long quote below).

I do NOT expected developers to be perfect and never make mistakes:
that's why we have Bugzilla and not EnhanceZilla.
Tracey
*** Here's a long RTF Specification quote (from June 1992):
Destinations added after the 1987 RTF Specification may be preceded by
the control symbol \* (backslash asterisk). This control symbol
identifies destinations whose related text should be ignored if the RTF
reader does not recognize the destination control word. RTF writers
should follow the convention of using this control symbol when adding
new destinations or groups. Destinations whose related text should be
inserted into the document even if the RTF reader does not recognize the
destination should not use \*.