One problem with RTF is MS has different versions of the
specification,  generally released when a new version of MSO comes out.
If your software does not read the newer versions, which I believe is
the default for the latest MSO version you may get garbled importing
on occasion.
It just dawned on me: NO software that I know of claims forward
compatibility (backward yes, but not forward)!
I am NOT a big fan of Microsoft, but your expectation as stated above is
unreasonable.

However, if you want to open/read a document that has the latest RTF
format then I can think of 2 choices:
#1 [Least desirable, but fastest] Download the latest RTF Reader:
msWordViewer (to the best of my knowledge msWordViewer has always been
available free BTW).
#2 [Most desirable, but takes longer] Submit a request to have the RTF
(import/export) utility (fixed/enhanced) (oftentimes the fixed becomes
available as a free down-loadable patch and the enhancement becomes
available in a new release or upgrade).

Again, Just FYI, Tracey

Jay Lozier [via Document Foundation Mail Archive] wrote:
Hi