Eric

On Sun, 2011-06-12 at 09:38 -0400, Eric S. Johansson wrote:

On 6/12/2011 2:21 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
  1. The hard part is the 300-word chunks.  If you really mean exactly 300 words (and not the
average writing assumption of the space that 300 5-character words take), you need to process
the text file in some sort of program that inserts separators of some kind every 300 words.

  2. If you mean 300 words on the average, what is considered an average amount of text on a
page in a paper, you can set up the document to have pages that fit 300 words of text on the
average.  Just fiddle with the margins until the right amount is on a page after you load up
the text as a document.
that was a good suggestion.   when I moved the lower margin up to about 7
inches, I get almost exactly 300 words on page just close enough to perfect.

  3 Then you can experiment with the File | Send>  Create HTML Document to see if it will make
a set of web pages for you.  My experience is that the converter for this is very flaky, but it
might work for the text you have if it is simple.

That doesn't work. I can save as HTML and get a single file but I'll need to run
a preprocessor over it to clean it up. Unfortunately, I also lose the soft page
breaks and header information.  converting those soft breaks to heartbreaks is
important during export because it should maintain the style across page boundaries.
  4. Another solution is to get the page size to where it holds 300 words of text and then save
it as text (not text encoding, which you can try, but just .text).

  5. Then to make separators, you can create page headings and footer that insert something
like the literal characters "<p>" at the top of the page and"</p>" at the bottom of the page.
(Pray that the Save As ... .text keeps headers and footers.)
problem with this is it loses style information with images etc. but other than
that, it's a good suggestion.

If you trying to each 300 word block its own page one way to get consistent formatting across web
pages is to use an external CSS sheet with the default formatting you want

The CSS (cascading style sheet) will have the format information. Each
web page must reference the page for the formating to work. I have a
link with more information about creating web pages and css style sheets

http://www.w3schools.com/default.asp

--
Jay Lozier
jslozier@gmail.com