On 6/12/2011 3:08 PM, planas wrote:
If you trying to each 300 word block its own page one way to get consistent formatting across web
pages is to use an external CSS sheet with the default formatting you want

The CSS (cascading style sheet) will have the format information. Each
web page must reference the page for the formating to work. I have a
link with more information about creating web pages and css style sheets

http://www.w3schools.com/default.asp

good idea but wrong context. For future reference, how do you tell writer to use a particular stylesheet when you are working on a document and producing the HTML output?

Well is talk about was a *different problem ^entirely. This example only make* sense in HTML. The carrot marks the 300 word mark. If you are working in a word processor, the bold section would continue from one page to the other page automatically. In HTML I would need to close off all formatting and then reopen it on the next page just like a word processor does.

I should probably explain why I'm trying to do this so it makes more sense. I'm doing an experiment for online literary magazine. One of the problems with putting writing on the net is that HTML is not formatted for reading. People's eyes need to take a break and we have become accustomed to a 300 word chunks as is found on most books. I don't know if that was an artifact of human wiring or mechanics of the printing process but, it seems to work. Putting writing into HTML is up with a page that is both too wide and too long for easy reading.

My experiment involves automatically producing 300 word pages that can be lightly massaged into HTML for presentation online in a variety of different formats. traditional or tabloid width, single column or dual column and see which works well.

Yes, I could take the page structure I have now and cut and paste each page into an HTML editor but, I'm not doing this once or twice. I'm going to be doing this multiple times for a series of months and I'd like something automate the process. In the future, if the experiment pans out, it'll be worth it to write explicit code to do the parsing and the format checking etc. etc. and out probably start from books using the epub format. But today, it seemed like it would be so simple to use writer to do most of the heavy lifting for me. It would be really nice if one could simply tell the writer to use writer (need to come up with better names :-), hand the document to the editor who makes the work readable and then they run a macro which converts a document to HTML form and an automated process pushes the HTML form online.

I hope that gives you a better understanding of why I'm trying to do this 300 word per page break up. It's probably a horrible abuse of writer to use it as document prep. I'm open to other tools that could be used to do last-minute adjustments and then automatic preparation.