________________________________
From: planas <jslozier@gmail.com>
To: users@libreoffice.org
Sent: Fri, 13 May, 2011 23:13:51
Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] LibreOffice Calc - Filter text

Jean

On Sat, 2011-05-14 at 07:01 +1000, Jean Weber wrote:

On 14/05/2011, at 2:07, jslozier <jslozier@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

On Thu, 2011-05-12 at 21:06 -0700, phantom1969 wrote:

From a .csv spreadsheet document, how would I filter text and save the
filtered items to another .csv spreadsheet document. I usually use CSVed
2.1.4 to perform such tasks, but I would like to figure out how to
accomplish this from within LibreOffice Calc. Thanks in advance.

If I understand your question correctly, you save to .csv format by
using SAVE AS>.CSV, you will need to scroll down to find it. You may get
a dialog box confirming that you want to save as .csv and not the
default .ods format for Calc.

Jay, he wants to save only the *filtered* info. Does that work the way you
said? I've never tried it.

--Jean

After filtering it will.

.csv is comma delimited format and Calc will save it in that format,
only the active worksheet. You can also open a .csv in Calc and it will
open a wizard asking what the delimiter is in the file, check comma. It
will  open correctly. I believe Excel works exactly the same way. .csv
is platform independent and you can open in any spreadsheet program.

Jay Lozier
jslozier@gmail.com

Hi :)
Wouldn't it be easier to filter using the command-line?  Grep?  Something like

filename.csv | grep blah > new-filename.csv

I'm not sure how to use grep properly but i think if you want to exclude
something then use a ! before it, eg

!exclude-this-value

I'm not sure if you can use a list or another csv file(s) to replace "blah".
Hmm, hastily looking through a couple of guides it looks like my command might
be a quite wrong
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filter_%28Unix%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grep

I am not sure if Windows has anything like that for it's command-line but grep
is likely to work in Linux, Bsd and perhaps Mac.
Regards frpom
Tom :)