On 05/02/2011 02:58 PM, Tom Davies wrote:
Hi :)
Ok, the trick is to use a LiveCd/Usb to install but when youget to the
Partitioning Sectiopn choose the last option at the bottom of the screen to do a
"manual partitioning" sometimes called advanced and now in 11.04 called
"Something else" lol.

I use the Live DVD mostly to install it new. The issue I had was during an upgrade from 10.10 to 11.04. I just wish I knew why it did not except the resolution that was being used for 10.10. Even without having the nVidia driver[s] "active", 10.04 LTS defaulted to the 1366 x 768 resolution of the Acer monitor. Why 11.04 did not, I only have to guess.

I also planned on no using Unity as well, since I prefer GNOME over what was written about Unity. I use GNOME as the default with some KDE packages installed as well.

It has to re-scan your drives which takes a slightly worrying time.  Select all
the same partitions such as / and /home but make sure they are all UNticked in
the "Format?" column to make sure no partition get re-formatted.  The swaps will
get reformatted anyway but just make sure your /home or / doesn't get
reformatted.

Once the install has completed look at the hidden folders in your /home/users
folder to check which programs you had installed and re-install any that are
missing.

See, it's quite straight-forwards really so i don't know why people claim to not
know of this trick.
Regards from
Tom :)
<snip>