The problem was when the upgrade from 10.10 to 11.04, it did not get too the "Ubuntu" splash screen before the resolution error happened. I did not have this type of trouble when going from 9.04 to 9.10, 10.04, and 10.10. It must be that with the change to Unity desktop, the changed the defaults. I remember that it use to default at 800x600 till I set the monitor to the actual size. Now it seems it goes much larger than that. I think my Acer is somewhere about 1280 x 738 - or there abouts. 1280 x 800 is 16:10 [laptop], but my Acer widescreen monitor is 16:9.

So, I will be saving my .mozilla and .thunderbird files and when I get the desktop put back together and 10.10 back on it, I will start rebuilding it. Have a lot of stuff to reinstall and setup. At least now I have an USB device to take the SATA drive from the desktop and save all the up-to-date dot folders and data file to my external that did not get on the backups. I have only 60 gig out of 1,000 gig external, and 3 data partitions on the internal that are almost stuffed full. Got to buy a second internal soon.