Op 12-11-2020 om 16:57 schreef Italo Vignoli:
On 11/12/20 4:36 PM, Marc Paré wrote:

Sorry for being a "pain" about this, but I believe some of us still have
the preference of "Community Edition" or "Community Unsupported".
It has been explained several times that the label is not supposed to
please community members, but is supposed to communicate to the outside
world.

So, I have explained why "community" is not a good choice, because
inside the open source community is distinctive for a version with less
features from an "open core" project (and LibreOffice is not open core)
and outside the open source community has a different meaning, which is
misleading for non technical users of desktop software.
I think we should start listing they whole bunch of options advantages/disadvantages.

Community Edition
Pro:
- Supported by volunteers;
- Being an STS edition
- In line how it's perceived internally
- Slightly lower quality level
- They community is lacking few Enterprise features. Like incremental updates and LTS
- Doesn't ban commercial entity's using it.
- Making it looking less professional

Contra
- Possibility of TDF having different Edition
- Certain risk to be perceived as trimmed down version; but not totally incorrect either

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
LibreOffice Free Edition
- Free so likely unsupported

Contra
- Tautology
- Possibly perceived a trimmed down version
- Not a obvious distinction with they commercial edition)
- Suggest that their is a paid edition (by TDF)

+++++++++++++++

 LibreOffice Fresh
Pro
- Position as latest (so possible bugs).
- Already common terminology

Contra
- Not a obvious distinction with they commercial edition

+++++++

LibreOffice TDF edition
Pro
- Room to explain what it entails
- It's a proper description

Contra
- Suggestion TDF to be kind of vendor/distributor
- Suggesting non-TDF LibreOffice editions; which helpful for LibreOffice brand.

++++
LibreOffice Rolling
Pro
- Describes to be latest

Contra
- No clear cut why to opt for Enterprise/commercial edition
- It's more a description what it is instead of real edition
- There is a schedule, fixed dates. So not hyper-correct

However still opinion that should be somewhere in the description,
but putting in they label but to much.

Should these not also be part of the list? Or have they been discounted
as possible labels? If they have been dropped as possible terms, by what
process would they have been dropped and by whom?
They message I have just sent to the mailing list explains why many
labels have been dropped. Based on the discussion, the focus is now on
the concept of a "rolling" release, and "community", "personal", and
other labels are not in line with this focus.

Should not the final decision go to a membership vote? I am assuming it
would be strange for the board to go against a membership decision?
My task is to put together a marketing plan which works, then the board
may decide in a different direction (IMHO, using the "community" label
would make the marketing plan uselss and would not allow to reach the
objective, which is the sustainability of the project).
I not totally following. In which way would they community label hurt they marketing plan?
As I'm not seeing the problem straight way.

Regards,
Telesto