Le Sun, 20 Oct 2013 18:20:59 -0400,
Marc Paré <marc@marcpare.com> a écrit :

Hi Charles,

Le 2013-10-20 10:02, Charles-H. Schulz a écrit :
Hi,

I wanted to discuss an idea that's been floating around for some
time; credits come to Ubuntu and Bjoern for having had something
like this since a few years already. In just  a few words, do you
think we could design a process (that would probably go through the
website of course) where we could enroll users (defined as people
visiting libreoffice.org to download LibreOffice) to join any team,
such as marketing, QA, docs, etc?

How  do you think this could work? Is it desirable?

Thanks,

Yes! Definitely! At download time is the best time while people are
waiting for the download to complete. We should be careful to not
take the spotlight away from the request for donations (apparently
that is really working out), but, if we could add one other request
page or somehow integrate it with the donations page, we could ask if
the user would be interested in helping out with our community.

I am also a firm believer in telling people that we are really
looking for help with the project and that any type of help is
welcome and for any amount of time they may have to contribute,
whether 5 minutes a day/week etc.

BTW ... with respect to including this at the installation point of
LibreOffice, we had already discussed this, but the final decision
was that people did not want to be disturbed by requests when the
software was being installed. That is why there is no polling done at
the point of installation as it was done previously with OOo.

But, at the download point, where people stare at the computer screen
waiting for the download to complete, yes, this is a good place to
ask if people would be interested in joining our communities.

Moving on in the discussion, it seems many people here agree with the
idea of engaging users, pretty much at the download phase or at least
in a consistent way through website content.

Now let me ask the "What" question, after we sort of figured out the
"if" and the "how" parts. This would mean: what do we tell users? Do we
tell them there's a community behind LibreOffice (good point Zeki, many
people are not aware of that, which in a sense is flattering) or do we
give them clear pointers to the various tasks, roles and teams of our
project?

Best,
--
Charles-H. Schulz
Co-founder & Director, The Document Foundation,