On Sat, Jun 29, 2013 at 6:44 AM, Marc Paré <marc@marcpare.com> wrote:
Le 2013-06-28 14:57, Jean Weber a écrit :

Many people, including me and a lot of geeks I know, view "official
marketing documents" with suspicion, assuming they will likely be full of
hype and empty words, with little factual content of interest. For some
people, a simple fact sheet is much more likely to be read.

--Jean

Well, then, even more the reason to do both. No sense in promoting only to
geeks who think this way and the other geeks who think otherwise. The devs
that I know work in industry and education would rather read it through
official docs/channels otherwise they view sheets with suspicion.

Two worlds colliding or cooperating.

Well, an "official doc" need not be a trifold brochure, and a
portrait-oriented fact sheet can look just as official and
professional as any other marketing document -- or it can look like it
was "thrown together really quickly" as you put it. Likewise, a
brochure, however nice in appearance, may have been "thrown together
really quickly" -- as, indeed, was the one I did about the community.

That said, I agree that having both can be useful, assuming some one
has the time, interest, and energy to do the work.

BTW, my earlier comment may have left the impression that I intended
to just print a web page. What I meant was to take the info on that
page and create a handout. That's essentially what I did with the
community brochure, but fitting the info into the space available on a
trifold can be more difficult and time consuming. I was rather
surprised that everything fit so well with minimal tweaking necessary
for that one.

--Jean