On 4/29/13 5:21 AM, Marc Paré wrote:

I am not disputing the fact that it is political etc. Just pointing out
that in the past, OpenOffice's slow/non-adoption into larger
organizations was perhaps due to a flaw in our marketing angle and that
perhaps a different approach may give us a better result. If it did not
work before, well, it still won't work now. There is something in our
approach that needs to be addressed and changed.

Hi Marc, we have completely changed the marketing approach in comparison
to OOo, because we were already disputing Sun's strategy since 2005. The
problem is that our approach, based on the development of an independent
ecosystem capable of generating business on top of LibreOffice needs
time and education (and the presence of a competitive project, which is
perpetuating Sun's strategy based on scarcity, does not help at all).

Unfortunately, Sun's strategy turned into a disaster in the Americas,
because in addition to completely missing the business opportunity did
also prevent the development of a local community.

At the end, in Europe most (all) OOo and LibreOffice deployments have
been based on the local community, and this is the reason why we did
chose a different approach (because it worked at least in Europe).

This is the reason why we can tell that decisions are 99% political, and
a LTS version (actually, the slow release cycle of OOo was almost a LTS
version) would not change the situation. It might, though, in the
Americas, because OOo never worked there (but this is a long story,
based on Sun's global lack of marketing skills).

Of course, there might be other valuable marketing strategies, which we
might evaluate. But we are definitely on a completely different path in
comparison with OOo (and although we have a major branding issue, we are
doing rather well).

Best, Italo

--
Italo Vignoli - italo.vignoli@gmail.com