On 29 April 2013 13:53, Marc Paré <marc@marcpare.com> wrote:

Le 29/04/13 04:46 AM, Ian Lynch a écrit :

On 29 April 2013 04:34, Marc Paré <marc@marcpare.com> wrote:

Hi Ian,

I am not sure I agree; if this were the case, they would have moved to
OpenOffice already.

Why? No-one with any expertise in their industry has spoken to the
right people. Don't under-estimate the time and effort involved.

If there have not been the right people for OpenOffice after having
presence for 10 years on the scene, then, we need to rethink our marketing
models.

Have to re-think strategies rather than models.

 I am more of the opinion that we should go to the harder
targets as they have a reason why they will not adopt.

That is the opposite of what all the research on mass marketing tells
us. My comments are based on thorough research and visiting probably >
15 countries over the last 7 years coupled with about 35 years working
in the education industry, most of it with senior people at a national
level.

Mine is based on close to the same amount of experience, but of in-class
and on committee software evaluation/purchasing as well as being
math/science/tech consultant. I was, up until my recent surgeries, on the
committee advising purchasing, and yes, OpenOffice was discussed, but,
there was no LTS version.

All depends on which country you are in.

 We need to take a
close look at the conditions that make them unable to adopt and see if
there
is a way for us to accommodate these hurdles.

If one of those conditions is not rational and that is very likely,
the first thing they will ask is who else has done it? People
generally don't like change. They will look for reasons not to have to
change so brute common sense rarely works. You need to find people who
are ready so you are pushing at an open door with at least one local
champion who has enough influence to help you.

Economic conditions have changed, this is our best driving argument for
change in our category. We market the fact that we have zero cost for
licensing and of great file compatibility. If some of our lager target
markets are not considering our product then we need to take a closer look
at LibreOffice and identify the problem. One of the obvious lack of options
is a version that is supported by a longer term, along with accredited dev
support.

Possibly it is a factor in some countries. Not a factor at all in the ones
in Europe that I have been to, definitely not here in the UK.

 Also, most of the places that are having a problem moving on to our
LibreOffice are doing this for specific reasons, which they have found
that
over their years of experience, despite the savings on licensing fees,
make
it too difficult/inconvenient for the change -- don't forget, they are
not
spending their own personal cash, but the cash that was allotted by their
funders/governments.

I'm well aware of that and that simply reinforces why it is difficult
to get change in the public sector. Not impossible but very difficult.
It's largely not about rationality, it is a management of change issue
and if there is no-one with professional training and experience in
change management its like trying to code LO with people who don't
have in-depth knowledge of C++. If targeting education change you also
need expertise in that sector. Try Michael Fullan's books on education
change to get an insight into the difficulties in getting meaningful
change.

I am not sure how this would help when I speak to our group and passing on
the information that in my experience an LTS version is what was lacking to
even be considered a contender in the office suite adoption. Fullan may
have it right but we may have it wrong.

The better you understand management of change the more likely you will
know if this is just another reason not to change - fix that and they'll
find something else. The real need is to find someone who is internal and a
champion, hopefully with some decision making power.

 Of these, I am suggesting that one of the major hurdles
is not having an LTS version. Something that, IMO, if we really want to
gain
a foothold in larger markets, we need to consider.

I doubt that has any significant influence on the decisions here in
the UK. Most would be more familiar with LTS as Linux Terminal Server
that Long Term Support.

We are not debating the term LTS. This not an issue. LTS, ESR, ...
whatever term describes it -- I'm not worried about the term for this
discussion.

If you are going to market something the market has to understand your
point. If they hadn't even thought about it why would it be a barrier to
them?

It might be an issue in those jurisdictions

that prescribe the technology to be used centrally and pay for it
nationally. If you identify such a jurisdiction as ready in other
respects it would be worth considering LTS but it really needs the
market research done rather than just guessing.

I am speaking from a N.American perspective where our educational plan are
made on a wider political scale (provincial) and not locally.

Ah well that is different, that is why I said it depends on the country. It
might well be that LTS is vital in the USA. That gives you two options. Fix
LTS in the USA and hope there are no other show stoppers or concentrate the
initial effort in a country or region where that barrier does not exist.

 Rather than picking the easiest targets, we should be looking at the
tougher
targets, which more than likely are the ones with the deeper pockets in
the
educational field, and by finding a way to accommodate them, we will more
than likely gain the easier targets along way.

Those with deep pockets are unlikely to go through the hassle of
change when they can afford to just carry on as they are.

Not in my experience. Those with deeper pockets now need to account for
the money spent and they must also account for the reasons a more costly
item is adopted.

In our case (LibreOffice), we do not appear on any acquisition list as we
cannot provide organizations a version of our software that allows for a
reasonable testing period and implementation. In all cases, the software
needs to be tested on servers before deployment, this may at times take up
to a year (some software play havoc with the setups and even the order of
installation becomes a crucial consideration).

I am not sure that we would even consider such software for our own use on
our servers. I am not sure, for example, that we would be using
SilverStripe if changes occurred on a scale similar to LibreOffice. It
would not take long for people, who depend on SilverStripe to run our
website, to demand a change to a more stable termed software with support.

 There is nothing more convincing that to see larger organizations move
to a
new distro for the smaller ones to follow. The reverse is seldom true.

The principles of disruptive innovation research from Harvard Business
School show the exact opposite is true. Community projects usually
bring new people into a market by making the product good enough for
their needs at a price they can afford. eg Wikipedia. They then get
better moving up the market displacing competition that can not
reposition without destroying their own cash cows. A reason MS has
taken so long to get 365 out to compete with Google. It could destroy
revenue from MS Office. Have they left it too late? Time will tell.

Well true, if you picked Wikipedia that offered all that their new
adopters needed, But had Wikipedia was offered only in a downloadable
version and then told its clients that they would need to re-install it a
the same rapid-rapid rate as ours, then there probably would not be such a
wide-scale adoption. Luckily, there is no need to update Wikipedia as it is
offered fully updated at all times.

Simple issue is Wikipedia had lower barriers to entry. What might be a
better strategy than LTS is to make it easier to get LO by putting all
efforts into a cloud version.

You are not making the right comparison. This is a case where a product
that we market as being able to compete in large organizations, just does
not have one of the key elements to get it even onto the "table of
considerations". In my school board of 10 000 seats, the fact that there is
no LTS version just disqualifies it. The product is great but it won't be
evaluated as our group (LibreOffice) is not willing to stand behind a
longer term version, the reason for which I cannot really understand.

But there are something like 7.5 million seats in schools here in UK
schools where LTS is not an issue at all. World is a big place, it extends
beyond the USA ;-)

If after 12 years of having such a great product and not making any
substantial in-roads into large-scale installations, we need to take a
sober look at our product and see if there is any tweaking of the package
needed.

There have been some large scale installations. In most case they have had
a person on the inside who was very friendly to the idea and had influence.
I don't know of any such successes down to technical issues such as LTS
although I agree LTS itself could be just the excuse needed not to have to
do anything. Solve that and watch the next barrier rise. Life is too short
:-)

--
Ian

Ofqual Accredited IT Qualifications <https://theingots.org/community/faq#7.0>

Headline points in the 2014 and 2015 school league tables

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940

Wales.