01:19 Friday 25 November 2011

Dear Tom:

I agree that MySQL is not a good choice because of Oracle.  There are some other databases that may
be worthy of consideration besides MariaDB.  I understand that MariaDB is intended as a dropin
replacement for MySQL and that there is value in this compatibility with the LAMP and other
implementation paradigms from the link at: http://kb.askmonty.org/en/mariadb-versus-mysql.

What about considering PostgreSQL?  While the following link,
http://www.wikivs.com/wiki/MySQL_vs_PostgreSQL is not directly applicable to the MariaDB fork there
are many valid points for consideration.  The same with this other less recent link:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Why_PostgreSQL_Instead_of_MySQL_2009.

Drizzle is the other fork which got my attention because of its addressing modern CPU
architectures, see:  http://www.drizzle.org/content/about-drizzle-project and
http://docs.drizzle.org/brief_history_of_drizzle.html  for a quick overview. From their home page
the positive affirmative statement that it is ACID transactional is worth exploring further.

My focus comes from a hardware view and what will be the most efficient for processing and then the
ease for programming and future scalability.  When I think of scalability I also think of being
able to include Unicode along with different regional data representations.

The idea is to be able to design so the model can be used for other purposes as well.  Until you
wrote about MariaDB I was not aware of the fork or that of Drizzle.

All the Best,

Volodymyr-------------