Hi Christian,

Le 2011-11-23 09:48, Christian Lohmaier a écrit :
Hi Marc, *,

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 2:19 AM, Marc Paré<marc@marcpare.com>  wrote:
Le 2011-11-22 15:52, Andreas Mantke a écrit :
Am Montag, 21. November 2011, 22:06:14 schrieb Marc Paré:
[requirements for web-calendar]
-- able to categorize events -- when inputting events, we should be able to
choose the language and/or various other categories such as TDF Board
meeting, conferences, Plugfests, etc. Users could then filter their calendar
views as needed.
Predefined categories are possible. Although I don't think the regular
meetings should be added tot he calendar, for recurring meetings, a
dedicated page that lists the weekly or monthly schedule is more
appropriate.
If we are to be transparent, then we should have ALL meetings showing on our calendar. New visitors and prospective members will have an easier time seeing the frequency of meetings for the different sections of the LibreOffice project and, yes, I think the TDF SC meetings should also show on the calendar. It should be a place where all people are served. It would also show how much of a vibrant and open community that we are. We need to get more people involved in the project as there are still too few of us trying to manage it. Having all of the events at a glance on a calendar month, for example will keep each section appraised of each other's schedule and avoid double booking on some days, and, may encourage our users to join our membership and help out in a more active way or maybe even listen in on the meetings.

Listing meetings on a dedicated page just makes it harder and frustrating for users to find these pages. It's just one more hurdle for users to handle when we could just add these to the calendar and tag them as weekly meetings or monthly meetings once. I don't see the reason for making it more difficult for people to see when meetings are occurring when it could easily be done through a calendar.

That leaving the choice for categories - what categories would you like to see?
Are there really that many events that filtering by category is necessary?

Categorization normally starts on a small scale and will eventually grow as more people get involved in a project. Having the ability to categorize/filter is what we should aim for. It would also be nice to have this ability for the marketing purposes so that we could better analyze the breakdown of dates for marketing plans.

So, categories would then include (at this point):

Conferences
CFP or CFA deadline dates (Call for papers/articles)
"Reminder" dates for various events where a nudge to users/members is necessary Seminars (for example: LibreOffice help sessions at LUGs, Colleges, Universities)
TDF SC meetings
Voting dates/deadlines
Developer meetings
Plugfest meetings
Design meetings
Documentation meetings
Marketing meetings
Other or Miscellaneous (where an event does not fit in any category)

OR

-- able to add other calendars into a "master" calendar where a user could
switch on/off the calendar view. This is done extremely well with Google
Calendar.
This could be realized via the ics/rss imports/exports - although I
don't really think it is necessary.
Looking at the wiki page we have less than 40 events in 2011, and 2012
currently is at 4. So I don't quite see the need for categories.
The conferences where LibreOffice participated and had some presence in 2011 should be pre-filled for 2012 and left open for members/users to sign-up. Most conferences are announced at least 1 year in advance and we should fill these in, if possible, a year or months in advance so that members can plan on participating. We may be able to man more conferences if we post them on the calendar thus allowing more time for members to plan to attend. The calendar then also becomes a booking tool for conferences. Same for sectional meetings.

Cheers

Marc Paré
Marc@MarcPare.com
http://www.parEntreprise.com