Le Mon, 5 Sep 2011 10:39:54 -0300,
Paulo de Souza Lima <paulo.s.lima@varekai.org> a écrit :

2011/9/5 Charles-H. Schulz <charles.schulz@documentfoundation.org>

Hello Paulo,

Hi =)

Le Sun, 4 Sep 2011 15:28:50 -0300,
Paulo de Souza Lima <paulo.s.lima@varekai.org> a écrit :

2011/9/4 Charles-H. Schulz <charles.schulz@documentfoundation.org>

Le 04/09/2011 16:38, Danishka Navin a écrit :
I am not talking about the TDF community but external
people.

All right. But *who* are external people? And how can we
identify them? For
me the only fact someone is using LibreOffice is enough to
put him/her
in.

I think that anyway anyone can use the LibreOffice logo
(without the subline) according to our TM policy. But I'm a bit
skeptical as to how Paulo defines the people who contribute to
LibreOffice and that we apparently are not aware of. We have
defined pretty much (and with some range) who are contributors
to our community and our project. The notion that somehow these
people should not be trusted is weird and not really
friendly-sounding. What do you mean, Paulo, that whatever
contributors do should be taken with mistrust?

Excuse me. where exactly have I said that?

In your last email, and actually below once again :-) At least
that's how I understand it.

What exactly are you understanding? I didn't get your point.

I'm understanding that you claim there's a trust issue between "people"
and TDF. Isn't that what you were writing?

My point is exactly the
opposite. Please, read my other message on this issue. By the
way, I don't think we can point exactly who are LibreOffice
contributors and who aren't. We have no tools to do it.

I think we do. We have a Membership Committee for that.

No, we don't. There's a lot of people contributing to LibreOffice
than those who have submited their profiles to MC. Assuming
contributors are only TDF members is not the best way to treat this
issue.

I think it's a starting point, at the very least. If our goal was
separate one part of the contributors with the others, why would we
have a membership committee?
Essentially, what we do (and ask the Debian project, they have much
more strict criteria than we have) is make sure meritocracy works. In
Debian the bar is much higher, and they don't seem to take care the
people who could claim they're contributors but who don't match their
criteria for admission.

Only in Brazilian community, I can tell you that there's at
least about 3 times more people contributing than the
submited/accepted TDF members. You would be excluding, for example,
Tom Davies from the community as well, and all we know he is
contributing a lot to LibreOffice.

Being on a mailing list does not equate to contribute. But as for Tom
(and anyone) he/she's free to submit his membership request at anytime.
So the other people you mention must leave a track or a sign somewhere
they're contributing.

So yes, we're talking about stores, not about anyone selling a
T-shirt.

Hummm. I thought we were talking about *our* stores, not *any*
store.

The decision about whether we set up our own store (meaning our own
e-commerce infrastructure) or we'd work with established merchant
sites is something we need to discuss and that is of course not
made at this point.

Indeed.

In fact, anyone can sell a t-shirt with the LibreOffice logo
without the TDF subline: I don't think it helps TDF, and I
think it does anything but covering the cost of T-shirt
production and whatever profit you want to make out of it.

I'm not sure what exactly this means. So, correct me if I'm wrong:
Anyone is able buy some blank t-shirts, print LibreOffice logo on
(without the TDF subline) and sell them.

Yes, welcome to Free Software :-)

I'm in this world much more time than you could imagine. =)

 But those people can't have
any profit, neither to cover costs promoting LibreOffice, like
travels, hotels, folders, subscriptions to events, etc.

Wait. This is a completely different topic. When people work
together to attend an event, be part of the team of the LibreOffice
project there should be a NGO, locally or regionally that should be
able to reimburse them. The way it reimburse them is because it
collects money and some of that money may come from selling
t-shirts. This is a very old, traditional way to work in FOSS
communities and I don't see why that would change.

No, it isn't. You have a centralized thinking, where everything
should be controlled by an NGO.

No. I am trying to clarify what must be pooled and what should not be.
It seems you don't really feel LibreOffice should even have a legal
entity, however.

Other people have different thinking
where the community should have more freedom to act.

So please explain what sort of "more freedom" you're talking about.
Here we're talking about software freedom, the freedom to code, to
hack, to get one's work properly recognized. Are you implying that it's
not the case inside this project?

 There are, at
least, two different views, and none are the "right one", in my view.

Despite of
that, some TDF SC members can ask for reimbursement for the same
thing, when in a TDF mission, that comes directly from the money
that those people, you're saying they can't use LibreOffice
community brand for profit, gave to TDF.

And the very same thing happens and is happening all over the
world, as we speak, in various regional NGOs working to support
LibreOffice. I don't see any problem with that.

I do see a lot of problems with that. We have no regional NGO and no
intentions to create one, since we were told that TDF would be the
right place for such decisions, some months ago.

Who told you that you didn't need a NGO?

 Now you are telling
us we should go back to our previous condition. Many people have
concerns about local NGOs because the problems we had here in the
past.

But everybody works through NGOs, all over the world.

But that's another topic. I don't think I should be reimbursed
for any activity I do to promote LibreOffice.

But what if you want to go to Paris and give a conference?  :-)

I do it for love and
fun. But it would be great if I could help to pay my costs producing
and selling LibreOffice stuff in my lectures. I don't see any problem
with that.

Sorry but that's somewhat obscure. You want to sell stuff to cover your
expenses but you don't want an NGO to reimburse your expenses? I think
the latter is usually what's being done, the former - at least in
Europe- would be seen as awkward socially speaking.

Don't get me wrong, but I think there's something strange in that
line of thinking. One thing is profit for itself. Another one is
profit for using it in Libreoffice promotion efforts.

Yes, you're right.

And that's the
point I mean with *trust*: TDF should trust people will use the
money for promoting LibreOffice.

Trust is one thing (in fact my lines above should send you a clear
message about the fact that we trust people) but coordination,
representation, and a minimum of resources pooling is necessary. A
community is not only about selling T-shirts, it's also about
development. If you have no developers, or logo designers, I don't
know what you'll put on your T-shirts in the end...

Nobody here is thinking about selling t-shirts.

I do :-)

T-shirts selling is
just an example. I'm thinking in creating ways for people to sustain
their activities supporting LibreOffice. You say a formal
organization should controll those activities. I say people, who
already contributes to Libreoffice, are adults enough to use the
community trademark with care, so they don't need a NGO controlling
what they do.

It's not about control, it's about coordination and practicality. Do
you actually want to turn people into little merchants "hi, I'll talk
to you about LibreOffice, please buy my T-shirt"...

More seriously, while there may be several reasons why you would be
wary of a NGO, you should perhaps not stick to your previous
experience. Creating a new NGO, starting from a clean slate could
be a good idea. And you would be in one country, where LibreOffice
is really important, without a NGO? You would run into a whole kind
of problems. In this sense, one could say there are unfortunately
thousands of people who die in car accidents but a car can also be very
practical.

I'm sure that any abuse will be issued to the SC or the
local mailing lists as soon it is detected. Please let's go back to
the central topic. I'm talking about freedom people should have to
act in order to promote LibreOffice. The point is: there are two
LibreOffice trademarks.

The TDF sublined trademark that is for TDF use only. No question
about the TDF trademark. This issue seems to be very clear to me.

The community trademark that is supposed to be used by the community,
without hard restrictions. And some discussion about "profit" arose
on this point. I think TDF should not be discussing if someone will
have profit or not making and selling some stuff with that trademark.
We have no ways to controll if people are doing what they declare to
do, but the information that comes from the community. The majority
of people I know who would be interested in make some use of this
trademark are somehow involved with LibreOffice. They ARE community
members already, despite the fact they don't have their names on the
TDF members web page.

They're free to act within our TM policy, but to be frank here we want
to work as a project and this project lives by contributions, done by
contributors. It may be that you find our criteria are too high, but
unless people here find they're to strict people will have to prove
their contributions. I don't think it should be very hard, by the way.

I don't know a single person who would abuse
LibreOffice trademark for personal advantages. All of them are
working to promote LibreOffice. So, I don't see any problem in
allowing them to have some profit with that, since it will not be
used in large scales, nor for private companies, at least at this
point, when we are trying to enforce this trademark to the market.
Any kind of abuse, like the use of the mark by a private company
without permission, or the use for large scale commerce, will be
quickly detected and reported, because people who buys those stuff
are involved with FLOSS, and news runs fast in this environment.

But I would also see disadvantages as clearly saying
that we support anyone using our logo: otherwise why would we
have any TM policy (and why would we have a foundation anyway?)?

Question is not if TDF supports those people, but if those people
support TDF and LibreOffice.

and that is the line, right there, where I feel there's mistrust.
TDF *makes* LibreOffice.

No, the community makes LibreOffice

* the community of contributors*

and TDF should *represent* the
community (Next Decade Manifesto). You are mixing TDF and the
community. No one in the community are TDF "employees", as long as I
know. I'm a contributor to LibreOffice community and I accept TDF as
representative, *for now*. If TDF deviates from the stated in the
manifesto, I'll rethink my position.

Or perhaps you'll elect another board of directors. TDF is a structure,
the structure of its contributors. It's not about a community and a TDF
being accepted. TDF is not an idle body, they're people inside it.

So if people have no confidence in LibreOffice or
TDF they will stop using the software.

I don't think they would stop using software once there are very few
alternatives. But they would stop contributing to LibreOffice
community certainly, because forking the project is not an option.

Why?

That's why many people see Apache OpenOffice in good looking. People
don't like to put their eggs in one basket, only. =)

So you are saying you like to have it on both ends, and perhaps you'd
like to sell LibreOffice T-shirts, and, depending on your audience,
Openoffice T-shirts. I think I understand now where you're coming
from :-)

But implying there's a
confidence issue between users at large and the project itself is
-again- something I don't understand (clearly, I don't see any trust
problem, why should people not trust TDF is something I don't see).

Despite of that, there's a lot of people who have concerns about TDF,
some inside the community, some outside the community. That's what
those people you're saying are not part of the community are doing:
easing those concerns among people and promoting LibreOffice, even if
they are not TDF members.

Paulo: why should they have concerns?

The simple fact of using a t-shirt is
marketing, so it is a marketing effort and supports TDF.
Personally, I only use t-shirts from people I identify myself
with them. I never would use a t-shirt from Microsoft, would you?

I wouldn't and I don't. But I also wear T-shirts of Debian, and it
so happens that I am not a Debian user (was, years ago). I'm not
calling myself a member of the Debian community because I have a
Debian T-shirt.

But actually you are helping to promote Debian. =)

In a sense, yes :-)

I don't use
Debian. I use Ubuntu. But I do participate of a local Debian
discussion list and I have many friends who use Debian. I do feel
somehow part of Debian community as well.

But you have no say in it. Do you feel the same concern with the Debian
project and SPI as you do with TDF?

Nobody told me I'm not, at
least for now. =) Being part of a community is not a question of
being "subscribed" to a website. It's a question of identifying
yourself with the values of that community. Meritocracy will define
how much a community member you are. That's simple =)

Yes, indeed, I guess that's what I've been writing since the beginning,
haven't I?

LibreOffice brand is
not widely known, except in IT or FOSS environment. Those people
already know/use Libreoffice. They are not our main marketing
target, in my view. The "outsiders" are.

You are right again, and I see -others do, I think- value in
spreading the word about LibreOffice. But Danishka's question is
different. He asks about an official TDF/Libo online store.

No. He was asking about how to garantee that people using Libreoffice
trademark will give part of their profits to TDF. My answer was about
the use of the community mark. I think this issue about the TDF
sublined mark is already well defined: only allowing the use through
some sort of legal agreement between TDF and the interested part.
This will require TDF become a legalized organization.

Absolutely.

Best,
Charles.