On Sunday 31 Oct 2010 14:24:08 Anthony Papillion wrote:
On 10/30/2010 7:54 PM, Michel Gagnon wrote:
<snip>

Which makes me wondering something. I know there is lots of Redmond
money involved in it, but would it be possible to convince the major
manufacturers to install the latest version of LibreOffice alongside the
other software and crapware they include in their new computers? They
typically "give" a working version of Microsoft Works (no time limit,
but a limited software), as well as a trial version of Microsoft office
(a very good software that won't work after 60 days). I am sure that an
installation of LibreOffice (a very good software that will work all the
time) alongside that would help a lot to penetrate the market.

Hi Michael,

I'm not sure this would be possible right now. Microsoft doesn't only
make it easy and "rational" for the OEM's to put MSO on their systems
but they actively campaign against having competing software on the
system.  I've even heard that Microsoft often has it as part of their
agreement with OEM's that they will not have pre-install competing
software. I don't know how prevalent it is but I was told this by
someone in the executive suite of at least one major OEM whom I trust.

What I *could* see happening, and where I think OOo missed the boat, is
boxed sales. I still believe their is room for us on store shelves. For
example, I was at Walmart the other night and checked the software isle
out. There was Microsoft Office and that was it. I know there is one
other that Walmart carries that I can't remember the name of but it
doesn't hardly sell at all because of compatibility issues I've been told.

I think LibO should work to get on store shelves. Keep the open source
ideal but use the money from boxed sales to fund the foundation and
future development. Definitely a HARD path to travel but one I think is
totally doable if we work hard enough and do a few other things.

I agree completely with this, however what needs to happen is to make it
profitable to distributors.  This is other leg of the type of business model
that Ian is talking about.

 A distributor wholesales the software with a support package.  This support
package is backed up by helpdesk staff who have been through the INGOTs
programme.  The distributor purchases the media from a Foundation approved
supplier (OpenSLX do this for the OpenSUSE boxed set for Novell),  a portion
of that wholesale price goes to the Foundation.  Included in the boxed set is
a manual as well to add value, OOoAuthors "Getting Started Manuals" for
instance then OOoAuthors could be funded as well.

As soon as you assign a value as well as add value then the retailer can add
margin and in one swoop you get rid of the biggest barrier to retail sales.

Same thing applies to OEM, they sell a machine with LibO preinstalled with
media and Manual.  On a DVD you lose the download size issue, so clipart
templates, application manuals and extensions could be made available as well,
packaged with a good installer with various platform versions on board and
translations to suit local markets.  That has value and he can sell to suit.
Either bare-bones download install, (no support other than the normal and no
extras)  or the DVD with extras at a fair price.

People will ask "So if we're paying for it, what's the difference to MSO", the
answer:

"Free upgrades forever"

Microsoft is going to be hard to fight and win, but we can do it if
we're creative, aggressive, and go for their throats.  We'll take some
hits but they will take more, eventually.

Indeed, Bill Gates got where he is by creating an environment where a lot of
people got very wealthy or at least made a healthy income, we can do the same,
support the foundation, pay developers as needed, reward people for their
contributions (like subsidising travel to confs and the like) and have a
marketing budget.

Anthony
United States

Cheers
GL

--
Graham Lauder,

INGOTs Assessor Trainer
(International Grades in Open Technologies)
www.theingots.org