On 10/14/2010 05:31 AM, Jean Hollis Weber wrote:

I haven't had time to test LibO much, but OOo has those features

MSO implements them is a way that is slightly different.   I don't
remember the precise differences, but one of them was that in MSO, one
could have the macro repeat "x" times, where the "x" was selected by the
user when first invoked. Another difference is that the code in the MSO
macro can be edited, and reused elsewhere, which is not the case with
the OOo macro.

(though perhaps not as many special characters as Word, it can search
for para marks & tab marks),

I don't know if it is MSO, or Windows, but for those that know the UTF-8
value of a character, it is easier to enter special characters in MSO on
Windows, than OOo on Linux. (OTOH, MSO on Windows gives me the Blue
Screen Of Death within ten minutes of starting it --- every version
since roughly Word4Windows (¿MSO 1?) on W4WG through MSO2K7 on Win7.)

For OOo, you pretty much need to install the alt-find extension, to do
decent regex searching. What makes regex searching slightly more
difficult, is that MSO and OOo use different flavours of regex.

so I'm surprised to hear that LibO doesn't.

I'm not. OOO, and LibO do things just slightly differently enough from
MSO, that people that never learned how to use an Office Suite, are
utterly unable to find the function that they are looking for.
(MOUS Master Certification does not mean that one has learned how to use
an office suite --- to the point that there appears to be an inverse
correlation between that certification, and the ability to use any
random office suite.)

jonathon
--
No human will see non-list, non-bulk, non-junk email sent to this address.
It all gets forwarded to /dev/null