On Friday, 2014-05-23 13:52:01 +0100, Michael Bauer wrote:

* if the option "Conversion from text to number" is set to "Generate
  #VALUE! error" then the option "Treat empty string as zero" is
  disabled
  * in this case an empty string also generates a #VALUE! error
* if the option "Conversion from text to number" is set to "Treat as
  zero" then the option "Treat empty string as zero" is disabled
  * in this case an empty string is converted to zero as well

Now how to squeeze that in the little space available..
LOL not sure if that made it any clearer. Let me check first if I
understood you by taking out some ifs:
Scenario 1
Set "Conversion from text to number" to "Generate #VALUE! error"
disables "Treat empty string as zero"
Result: [empty string] in a calculation > error

Correct.

Scenario 2
Set "Conversion from text to number" to "Treat as zero" disables
"Treat empty string as zero"
(I'm assuming that makes sense somehow, that both scenarios disable
"Treat empty string as zero" though somehow my gut says this should
be "enables")
Result: [empty string] in a calculation > turns into zero

Correct.

Regarding enables/disables: what I meant with disabled is actually that
changing the option is disabled. The "Treat empty string as zero"
option's value follows the "Conversion from text to number" option in
both cases. You can see if you play with the options;

* set "Conversion from text to number" to "Generate #VALUE! error"
  => "Treat empty string as zero" is set to "False"
     * the option can't be changed / is disabled
* set "Conversion from text to number" to "Treat as zero"
  => "Treat empty string as zero" is set to "True"
     * the option can't be changed / is disabled

This is what was meant with "follows that value". Does that clarify?

This options determines how empty strings are handled in
calculations. If empty strings are set to result in an error, this
option is disabled. If empty strings are set to be treated as a
zero, this option is enabled.

That doesn't quite fit. Maybe changing

It is disabled if conversion from text to number is set to always
generate an error or always treat text as zero and then follows that
value.

Changing this option is disabled if "Conversion from text to number" is
set to "Generate #VALUE! error" or "Treat as zero" and then follows that
value.

would already help? Maybe the "then follows that value" could be better
worded.

  Eike

GPG key ID: 0x65632D3A - 2265 D7F3 A7B0 95CC 3918  630B 6A6C D5B7 6563 2D3A
Support the FSFE, care about Free Software! https://fsfe.org/support/?erack