Am 16.03.2017 um 12:20 schrieb Stephan Bergmann:
Some of our baselines on current master (towards LO 5.4) are as follows:

*  GCC 4.7
(<https://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=e4b24c7399352642aeaeb412394d6230562d04d2>
"configure: GCC 4.6 is no longer supported on master")

The latest version is GCC 6.  Noteworthy C++ conformance we would gain
with a bump (according to
<http://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/compiler_support>) would be:

** GCC 4.8.1:
*** inheriting constructors
*** ref-qualifiers

** GCC 4.9:
*** decltype(auto), return type deduction for normal functions
*** generic lambdas
*** deprecated attribute
*** single quote as digit separator

** GCC 5:
*** variable templates
*** user-defined literals for <chrono> and <string>

The question is what old versions of GCC are required exactly by the
various builds.

Ubuntu LTS 14.04 has 4.8 as the default compiler. An update for 4.9 is
the maximum available compiler.

*  MSVC 2015 Update 3
(<https://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=84b36c704d73362d4d86dc9e9c0efa0625958347>
"Drop support for MSVC 2013")

Bumping this to MSVC 2017 is unlikely to happen anytime soon, given we
bumped to MSVC 2015 Update 3 only recently.

Someone / the wiki claimed 2017 is already working, which is a
difference to the previous 2015 bump, which apparently took some time to
fix the fallout of the update.

*  For --enable-compiler-plugins, Clang 3.4
(<https://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=733198de1b7fc3907609217147704f493f6146e6>
"Remove support for Clang < 3.4")

The latest version is Clang 4 (just released the other day).  Bumping
this would allow to clean up some #ifdefs across compilerplugins/clang/.
 The question is what old versions of Clang are required exactly by
people building with --enable-compiler-plugins.

(For our C++ conformance, the oldest supported Clang version is rarely
the limiting factor.)

Ubuntu doesn't have any official clang compiler, but provides a
clang-3.8 in the 14.04 repo, which I use for cross-checking.

I would just like to keep the 14.04 baseline because it makes backports
easier. We'll hopefully stay with 5.2 for a while, but I also thought so
about a 5.0 release, which was dropped.

JMG

P.S. 16.04 has gcc 5.3 as default and 5.4 as an update, clang still 3.8.