On Wednesday, 2017-02-15 12:42:22 +0000, Caolán McNamara wrote:

Yeah, "your mileage may vary" I guess kicks in there. The main "real-
world" use case for BCP47 is to distinguish Cyrillic vs Latin Serbian.
Couple of things. Firstly, you only get 8 letters for the part after x-
so fr-x-moderne is valid bcp-47 while fr-x-classique is not (but fr-x-
classiqu would be). If I add fr-x-classiqu.aff|dic then I see they are
successfully added to the list of dictionaries available to
LibreOffice.

Secondly, what the rest of LibreOffice does with this then is probably
still a little unclear in parts. I see that in our format character
dialog where we can directly enter bcp47 that I can successfully enter
a tag like de-1996 but not fr-x-whatever so it appears the the private
use tags are not allowed there for some additional reason I don't know
(@erack?)

That's forced on purpose because it's unclear what should actually
happen with arbitrary invented privateuse tags. If those end up in
a document, loading them in another environment may likely be
unsupported or even map to a completely different thing, that's the
"private" in privateuse ... by definition of BCP47.

What we could do however is to check against already known on-the-fly
tags that were registered during loading dictionaries, and then *assume*
the system and user know what is done if it matches.

Best of course would be if someone registered proper French
classiq/moderne subtags with IANA instead of coming up with some x-...
mess. See http://www.langtag.net/register-new-subtag.html

  Eike

GPG key "ID" 0x65632D3A - 2265 D7F3 A7B0 95CC 3918  630B 6A6C D5B7 6563 2D3A
Better use 64-bit 0x6A6CD5B765632D3A here is why: https://evil32.com/
Care about Free Software, support the FSFE https://fsfe.org/support/?erack