On Sat, Jul 20, 2013 at 09:35:55AM +0100, Michael Meeks wrote:
      Personally I love the scope the BSA provides for making the end-user
presented components arbitrarily better. I'd love to make it easier to
find the BSA, and point more people at it instead of bugzilla - which (I
agree) is uber-lame for new users. I'm personally surprised that only
30% (IIRC) of bugs come through the BSA - and I guess it'd be
interesting to work out what refererres the others come from so we can
'BSA'-them ;-)

I guess, the 30% BSA bugs come from the fact that most bugs need a bit of back
and forth with the report -- which still happens exclusively on bugzilla. Also
I dont think thats bad, if people who come back use bugzilla once they found
their way around in it -- actually that is a Good Thing.

IMHO we should look at primarily is first-bugs-filed at bugzilla, not those
filing their second, third, tenth bug: If even people who never used bugzilla
or the BSA also go for bugzilla, we should indeed look at that.

However, my suspicion still is:
- people go to BSA
- BSA tells them to get a fdo bugzilla account
- they request one, and wait for the mail they need to confirm
- they get some friendly welcome mail from bugzilla telling them they can now
  start filing bugs (and of course link to _bugzilla_ and not the BSA)

The last step is breaking the BSA workflow.
Of course, if it were _our_ bugzilla, we could change that. ;)

      Which makes me think: have we considered adding the initial feedback
page not as some intermediate page before the BSA - but as an initial
flow for the BSA itself ? :-) particularly if you don't have a bugzilla
account re-directing people to Ask / give an easy +1/-1 etc. ?

I dont think adding pages would do any good, but we could/should:

- have a link to IRC #libreoffice-qa on all pages of the BSA
  (like we have it in the footer of gerrit)
- possibly more work:
  - trigger on words/phrases like "cant find" or "how" and then ask people, if
    they are needing support and offering a link to ask then(*).

Best,

Bjoern

(*) Although that sucks, too:
    - go to BSA
    - create bugzilla account, get no link back to BSA
    - go there on your own
    - Start describing your issue
      - get told "you should use ask instead"
    - click link