On 06/14/2012 04:57 PM, Norbert Thiebaud wrote:
On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 1:59 AM, Stephan Bergmann<sbergman@redhat.com>  wrote:
On 06/13/2012 03:00 PM, Norbert Thiebaud wrote:

I think you are confusing buildability after each patch of a series has been
applied in sequence (which is a desirable property indeed) vs. buildable
with each patch of a series applied individually ("out of context," what
Eike's concern was).

When you apply a series in sequence, at any point the result must be
buildable...
1/ it is good practice
2/ if that is not the case bisection is much harder

If you pushed directly to master and happened to push something that
is not buildable, then of course you can't go back and fix it...
but with gerrit, as long as your patches series is not 'merged' then
you can git rebase interactive to fix the offending commit.

Yes, you cannot pick a random patch in a series, apply just that and
expect it to be buildable
but if my series has 3 patches 1,2,3

the If I apply (1) (1,2) or (1,2,3) I expect the result to be buildable

Yes sure (and I think nobody is arguing with that). Its just that I felt you guys where talking past each other, one talking about an "out of context buildability" problem while one discussing "sequential buildability." So, best forget that I said anything, anyway---seems to produce more confusion than clarification... ;)

Stephan