 And, since I'm already asking, is the Windows performance the reason include
files are scattered this way?

Personally I take these claims about the horrible performance of
Windows (itself, not just Cygwin) doing this or that with a grain of
salt. After all, they come from people who have a vested interest in
promoting Linux, no? And who in some cases might not have touched
Windows for years. But oh well, on the other hand I certainly am not
interested enough to do any actual benchmarking. Whatevers.

--tml