On Sat, Dec 03, 2011 at 11:40:01PM +0000, Pedro Lino wrote:

Git commit IDs as identifiers have the huge problem that they are not
comparable (one cannot say which one is "greater") without referring
to the repository. How about we also put the *commit* (not author)
timestamp (in UTC) of the top node (commit), and maybe the branch?

Something like:

Build assembled from:
 repo  commit   date               branch
 core: 4f11d0a 2011-11-16 21:57:28 master
 help: adcf6d5 2011-11-05 14:01:21 master

Or instead of pretty-printing the date, just put it as seconds
since the epoch:

 core: 4f11d0a 1321480648 master
 help: adcf6d5 1320501681 master

That would solve the problem when looking into the log file but not
when looking at the About box.

No, my idea was to put the above text in the about box, to replace our
current 4f11d0a-adcf6d5-... string.

--
Lionel