Hi Kohei,

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 05:35:33PM -0500, Kohei Yoshida wrote:
Also, by "funky garbage collection" if you are referring to the
ref-counted cssu::Reference memory management that UNO API uses (since C
++ doesn't even have memory management natively), doesn't python have
the same issue since its objects are all reference-counted?  And since
with python it has to go through the language binding wouldn't it make
it even more interesting than native C++ binding?

No, I was refering to the fact that Java objects are _not_ refcounted and thus
sometimes can create interesting scenarios. Stephan likely can tell you a few
dark tales about Java zombie objects.

Let's not read too much into my words.

Ok, lets just say the were very inviting to interpretation.

So, who would be willing to invest time if it were written in python?
With C++ at least Markus is already showing interest.

Well, so far we are not suggesting to newcomers comfortable in Python that we
have much to offer for them:

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Easy_Hacks_by_required_Skill#Easy_Hacks_requiring_Python_Skills

OTOH I dont think it makes sense to have 50 tests in C++, 1 in StarBasic, 200
tests in Java and 5 in Python and be stuck with all of them. I was just
supporting Michaels point that having a quicker way than Java/C++ for tests
might be worth consideration(*). FWIW I used to start tests in StarBasic -- as
ugly as it is -- because a) it spares you the interface casting madness and b)
it provided reflection via DBG_properties, DBG_methods and
DBG_supportedInterfaces. And once the testcode was done, I rewrote the stuff in
Java (which was the only sensible option at the time).

Best,

Bjoern