On Wed, 2011-11-30 at 19:13 +0100, Markus Mohrhard wrote:

hmmm.... i wonder if it would make sense to have UNO API tests written
in Python: that should be much easier on the eyes than boilerplate-heavy
C++/Java... and i think there is a need for tests at the UNO API level
no matter how many core C++ level tests we have, because there is really
no other way to find regressions in that area (nobody tests that
manually), might as well try to maximize the productivity...

In general, I agree: Python is the best tool we likely have for this job. OTOH
it is bound to the UNO API and I wonder if they can be written in a way that
they do not all die with:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/LibreOffice4 .

Personally I would prefer c++ based uno tests. I know that writing
python code is faster but then we will be again at a point where we
have a language binding between our test code and our tested code.
IMHO tests should be written so that debugging them is as easy as
possible even if it means that writing them might need a bit more
time, but I might be wrong and python based tests are even more easy
to debug.

Let me cast my vote for the use of C++ too.  Markus has already outlined
the benefit of using C++ for debugging point of view.  I will also point
out that using python here may alienate some of us who are not a big fan
of the language.  I can at least think of one particular person who is
very allergic to python (and he has a big presence among us). :-)

I personally do love and use python in some of our projects, but I would
stick with C++ for this specific use case as Markus pointed out.

Kohei

--
Kohei Yoshida, LibreOffice hacker, Calc