I most definitely do have libxml2 installed on my system though (both one
installed by xcode and one by macports) and this was picked up by the
top-level configure.

Most likely the macports one is confusing things. If you have a xml2-config in /opt/local/bin (as
seems likely based on what you say below), take /opt/local/bin out of PATH and see how far you get.

Here's what my top level set_soenv looks like:

ToFile( "LIBXML_CFLAGS",     "-I/opt/local/include/libxml2",    "e" );
ToFile( "LIBXML_LIBS",       "-L/opt/local/lib -lxml2 -lz -lpthread -liconv

But note that there are at the moment some libxml2-related problems on the Mac even with no
macports present confusing stuff; the /usr/bin/xml2-config gets run to set up LIBXML_CFLAGS which
then points to /usr/include/libxml2, even though what one really wants is the libxml2 headers from
the 10.4 SDK. Hopefully this will be sorted out during the weekend.

In general, building master on any platform is still in a bit of flux since the m106 merge a week
ago; patience is a virtue.

--tml