One might (repeat might) be able to graft a nice GUI front end (a.k.a Xcode)
and invoke the existing build mechanism.

Well, sure, yeah. An Xcode project can (from quite limited experience here, so forgive me for
inaccuracies in terminology) include build steps where an arbitrary shell script is executed. And
other build steps (compiling source files, linking, etc) can be omitted. So yeah, one could have an
Xcode project that just runs "make". Will that be useful? No idea. One thing that is sure is that
Xcode will not have any idea about what C++ classes etc are involved. But maybe it will be able to
parse error messages and open up corresponding source files at right places in its editor at least?

Once we have a fully gbuildified tree, running "make" from the top level might in fact be what one
typically does, even in a developer use case where one is editing some source files and doing just
incremental builds of some small part of the code repeatedly.

--tml