Hi Christoph,

Sorry about taking a while to reply. I'm dangerously close to actually having a life, hence disruption. ;-)

On 28/03/2011 9:49 PM, Christoph Noack wrote:
Hi Sam!

That already looks *amazing* ... especially the thoughtful textual
descriptions - thanks for your hard work.

Nevertheless, I played a bit with the site and came up with some stuff -
mostly minor things or questions. And - as always - skip those items
that might have been mis-interpreted on my side. Or just tell me (even
better)...

General
       * If people (like me) look through some of the options, then most
         of the stuff gets saved, although options are not shown. I don't
         know whether this may be a problem, but maybe options that
         exclude each other are saved at the end.
Yeah, I need to find a way of resetting things. Doable, just probably fiddly.
       * I'm not sure whether I missed it, but might it be helpful to ask
         (also for the Search) for the version of LibreOffice? Or is this
         page opened via a link from LibO that automatically pre-selects
         the required version?
I'd completely forgotten about versions! I'll add a question for it, and a help text.
Section "Search for Similar Bugs": What shall people do who find similar
looking bugs? Something like "If yes, then it is likely that we are
already working on resolving it." To me, it looks more promising ;-)
Sure! And thanks. :-)
Section "File a New Bug"

       * Chatroom: How about adding this to the top of the page? Then all
         "help" related stuff is grouped - and the chat might already be
         helpful for searching for bugs.
Good idea.
       * LibreOffice crashes
               * When does LibreOffice crash?: Here, it seems that you
                 place all the options directly below the currently
                 selected radio button. In other place, you place the new
                 content below the group of radio buttons. The latter one
                 seems the preferred version, since it avoids jumping of
                 the page, and causing large gaps between the single
                 radio buttons.
I hadn't done that consciously, but yeah, I can see how having new things after would be clearer. :-)
               * Which operating system have you found the crash on?:
                       * How about Windows -->  Microsoft Windows, Mac OS
                         X -->  Apple Mac OS X
Sure. Thanks for pointing that out. :-)
                       * Linux:
                               * Type in "Please follow th*g*ese
                                 instructions"
Typo (and the other one later): oops! I should use a text editor with a spell checker.
                               * Is the backtrack mandatory? If not, it
                                 would be great if we could mention
                                 it ... otherwise it might.
Hmmm. I'm not sure. It could be too complicated a thing to force people to do.
                       * Another potential OS
                               * Sorry, I don't get the meaning of
                                 "potential" in this case.
                               * Might it be helpful to ask for the "tag
                                 line" in the about box? I'm not sure
                                 whether it already contains the OS name,
                                 but we talked about it some time ago.
Sorry, this section was meant to be a placeholder for other OS sections, I didn't make that clear enough. From the download page it seems that LO is only available on Windows, Mac and Linux, but I expect there are probably others (and will be in the future). Then again, for now it would probably be better to have a box to enter the name of a different OS. The OS doesn't appear in 'about' in 3.3.2, which is what I'm running, so I can't say whether it's in yet! But it sounds useful.
               * Which operating system have you found the crash on?
                       * Placeholder: If an error message ...: A
                         question, do you intend to ask for a screenshot
                         to e.g. get the complete error message? To me,
                         it seems that some people might be thankful for
                         typing in the message (but again, it is likely
                         that people type in strange / shortened /
                         whatever stuff).
Yeah, getting a screenshot of the error message would be ideal, though a text box as well would be useful.
       * My document looks wrong when I load it
               * Are you sure you have the fonts installed?: A less
                 platform specific way might be to refer to e.g. the
                 "Format - Characters" dialog. If a selected font is not
                 installed, then a corresponding message gets shown above
                 the font preview. (Just remembered that we have
                 something like that ...)
Ah, ok! That sounds very helpful. I'll have to have a look at that.
       * LibreOffice is hard to use: Well, also a hard question ... I'll
         think a bit what kind of question we need here. At the moment, I
         think

Finally: How to finally submit the bug? ;-) Okay, still unanswered
questions ...
Yeah, it's tricky. I'm sure something will get worked-out eventually!
Box "Make the file as small as possible"
       * Typo in "usually this is th*w* application"
       * Just to be sure ... would it be helpful to tell people to remove
         both "confidential and personal" information?
Sure, extra clarity can't hurt.
Okay, that's what I've found so far ...
Thanks! It's always appreciated. :-) (Well, unless I'm having a particularly bad day!)