Hi Christian,

2011/3/14 Christian Lohmaier <lohmaier+libreoffice@googlemail.com>:

I don't understand what you mean. When a string changes for example in
svx/source/dialog/sdstring.src, then only the small
svx/source/dialog.po will be changed not the whole SDF file.

But you will have to change that po for /every/ language. So you got
about 100 changes, not just one. (and then you will have another 100
individual changes when the translation is updated).

Not necessarily. I don't have to update po files for languages which
are not actively maintaned.

OK, so pootle is the tool used, you don't actually commit the po(t)
files to the repository after each change. If pootle is mediator
anyway, I don't see the reason why the english string should be part
of every po file in the sourcetree.

In order to keep history of translations, too. I have seen cases in
OOo project where a translator messed up the po files in Pootle and
wanted to revert to the last known good file set.

Let's imagine I change 1 line in all sdf files (~13 MB each), because
I change Oracle to The Document Foundation or whatever. It means that
git will add 104 times 13 Megabytes compressed.

No, that's just not true. You will add 100 times that one line change.

AFAIK git stores full files not differences. See
http://progit.org/book/ch1-3.html
Besides I saw these large changesets with my own eyes. :) It took
several long minutes to push them.

Best regards,
Andras